Wine Tasting: Introduction to Portuguese Wines
Portugal not only lays claim to founding one of the very first demarcated wine regions in the world, the Douro, but also having one of the most diverse collections of native grapes in the world. From light, effervescent white Vinho Verde wines in the north, to intense flavor driven still and fortified wines in the Douro, and from sweet and unctuous dessert wines in Setubal to spicy, rich reds in the Alentejo, there really is no one “flavor” that encompasses Portugal. Consider this your vinous playground! In this tasting, you'll explore revolutionary Vinho Verde wines, the lesser known still wines of the Douro, the birthplace of Portugal's heralded Touriga Nacional grape, Barraida and its infamous Baga, and finally, taste the rich and complex wines of the Alentejo. We trust you'll leave this class with not only a new appreciation for Portuguese wines, but also a phenomenal base to explore new flavors on your own.
Wine Tasting Highlights
- Comprehensive understanding of Portugal’s exciting wine culture
- An in-depth look at the iconic regions that have placed Portugal center stage
- Taste 6 top Portuguese wines, learn their histories, and orient yourself to Portuguese wine styles
- Small nibbles to keep your palate in shape
- Open Q&A to help you plan your wine drinking in Portugal
- Receive a discount on any wines purchased in our retail shop
Portuguese wine basics
Not what you are looking for?
Do you want to experience a custom made tour?
If you would like us to customize your next tour to Portugal or Spain, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to set up a call or offer an itinerary that meets to your needs.